Friday, January 16, 2009

Taking Advantage of the Winter Cold




What a time to start this blog when riding wise everything is pretty quiet. But I thought I would start with how we can use this winter time to our advantage for the coming season.

I don't know about you guys but I really do not like the cold and if I don't have to be outside freezing, I will definitely choose to stay inside. Especially like today when it's 14 degrees out. Even in New Zealand where the worst I had to contend with was lots of rain or mud sometimes I still didn't want to go outside and ride in the winter. So if you're like me and you do not really like the cold or you don't have access to an indoor arena I've come up with a few things to keep you busy during these cold days when you don't or can't go outside and ride.

*This is a good time to work out the things that you want to achieve in the coming season. Write a list and be very specific. For example: I want to place in the top five at my first novice horse trial of the season. Now you have to think: How am I going to achieve this? Do I need more dressage lessons? Do I need to get to a XC course for some schooling? Or do we need to focus on our conditioning to make sure we are fit enough for this season. Break it down so each goal can become a reality.

* Read up on some good books that will help you get focused for the season. For example, working through your Horse Management for your rating you want to do. It doesn't all have to be about riding but something inspirational that helps to get you where you want to be.

* Watch some good dvds to get you fired up. I love watching Badminton or Burghley videos and it would get me all excited for the coming season. Also watching videos from previous seasons competitions, allows me to see the areas I am weaker on and need to work on during the winter.

* Put a fitness schedule together for the upcoming season. When you have an idea of when you can start to ride more regularly, write on a calendar what you would like to do each day to get your horse into peak performance. Remember; take your time. (As we get closer to warmer weather, I will post an outline of a fitness schedule I would have used, to get an idea).

* Use this extra time to give your horses a thorough groom and spend that extra bit of time with him/her, instead of when you are extra busy trying to get a good ride in.

* Most importantly have a break. Focus on things you love to do but don't get the time to, when you are focusing on the riding. It's really important to have that balance and that was what kept me sane with my intense riding schedule.


On a side note, due to the nature of this blog, I won't be doing daily posts especially now because it is so quiet, but more as things come up. But if you have any questions or comments please contact me because I will be regularly checking this and I'll get back to you as soon as I can. On that note have a great day.

No comments:

Post a Comment